Saturday, 22 February 2014

Book Review: Secrets for Seducing a Royal Bodyguard by Vanessa Kelly



Secrets for Seducing a Royal Bodyguard (The Renegade Royals #1)
Author: Vanessa Kelly
Publisher: Kensington Zebra
Release Date: 7 January 2014

IN MATTERS OF DESIRE, HE’S THE PERFECT TEACHER…

Accomplished spy Aden St. George prefers to stay away from the frivolous ton, especially after the way his mother was used by the Prince Regent. But his latest mission compels him to guard unconventional, vibrant Lady Vivien Shaw. Rescuing her from kidnappers was easy. Resisting her beauty is not. Duty demands he keep an eye on her—and naturally, his lips soon follow. For someone who views entanglements as a weakness, this is pure, delicious folly…

Though grateful for Aden’s help, Vivien has secrets she must keep hidden. Yet with her abductors still at large, she needs Aden’s protection almost as much as she craves his touch…

Review

This is a thoroughly engaging romance with everything you need for an absorbing mystery- dasmsel in distress, handsome spy and evil villain.

Vivian is very spirited and strong-willed and I certainly admired these aspects of her personality 70% of the time. The rest of the time, I was desperate to just give her a good shake. Since her father's death she has taken on a lot of responsibilities, mainly due to her brother and mother's irresponsible behaviour, and it has made her very independent. It also means that she is very reluctant to accept help from other people, particularly from Aden. I just found that her behaviour could be irritating at times, and she acted recklessly several times when it came to her own safety. She is still very likable, she just had a tendency to get herself in some sticky situations.

Aden St. George is a very intriguing kind of guy. He is a lot more rough and ready than most men of the ton, in a very good way. He is an accomplished spy, but he's haunted by things in his past. I enjoyed Aden's character, he certainly had the whole alpha male thing going. Sometimes he was too stubborn for his own good, and he made a muck of his relationship with Vivien a couple of times, but the path to romance never runs smoothly!

I enjoyed the mystery surrounding Vivien's kidnapping. It held my attention and keeps the plot at a quick pace. The obvious villain of the piece is the vile Prince Ivan- kudos to Vanessa Kelly for making a character who literally made my skin crawl! He was probably a little two dimensional but he's perfect for his role in the story.
There were moments throughout the story when I was rather baffled by the characters' actions, and that's the main reason I'm not giving it a higher rating. Sometimes they just acted like idiots. If you were kidnapped, you would surely be very careful about your safety until the perpetrators had been caught, but Vivien could be frustratingly careless. She wasn't the only one though, sometimes Aden's behaviour was equally perplexing, especially near the end.
Saying that I thought Vivien and Aden were very well suited for each other. I enjoyed their chemistry, and they had very sweet banter, especially when they're in bed together!

Apart from that, I really enjoyed this story, I found it interesting and very well-written. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the series, particularly Griffin's story. Griffin was a character that really stood out for me, I can't wait to get to know him more in Confessions of a Royal Bridegroom!

*I received a review copy from the publisher, via NetGalley, for my honest review. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)