Tuesday, 26 November 2013

Book Review: Locked Together by Michelle Abbott



Locked Together (In Chains #2)
Author: Michelle Abbott
Release Date: 29 September 2013

For Savannah, it was an easy choice; getting sent to the Compound meant she and Kayden could be together. But nothing is ever that simple. Caught in a system that encourages cruelty and mind games; will their love survive?

This is book two in the In Chains series and continues the story of Kayden and Savannah. I would recommend reading book one first as this is not a standalone.

Please note: this book contains strong language.

Review


Locked Together is definitely much better if you've read the first book, In Chains. It would be kind of confusing as a standalone. I was really looking forward to reading this sequel, I wanted to know how life would be in the 'Pound' for Kayden and Savannah and what new trials their relationship would have to endure.

Savannah is the same strong character as she was in the previous book. She's very kind, compassionate and loving. She's saved Kayden's life and has chosen to endure her punishment in the slave compound, where she can at least be with Kayden. Savannah is shocked by the treatment of slaves in the compound, although she is lucky to be relatively sheltered by a guard who takes sympathy on her.
Kayden was a real let down for me in this book. It took me a while to put my finger on what was bothering me. In the first book I enjoyed the scenes from Kayden's POV because I could see how much he loved Savannah, but I didn't particularly enjoy them this time. They do add to the story, so we can see the way his treatment at the compound affects him. But he can come across as quite immature, and rash in his POV scenes. It's only when I see him through Savannah's eyes that I really remember that they have this strong love between them. 
They do still have a very strong chemistry and connection, which they need in order to face the challenges that come their way.

The plot for about 3/4 of the book was great. It was fast paced with plenty of tension and twists for them to navigate. The last 1/4 was pretty abrupt and I felt, didn't work as well. I won't give away spoilers (even though there's something I'd love to mention). There was a time jump and the events that had unfolded during this time surprised me, and I didn't think it fit with the story very well. I did however, love the ending and epilogue!

I've moaned a little bit, but I did still really enjoy this. It's not quite as good as the first book, but it wraps up the loose threads and questions left from the first book. There's some more explanation about the origin of the slavery, which I appreciated as it was one of my big questions after the first book. 
I'm already looking forward to what Michelle will bring us next.

*I received a review copy from the author, for my honest review. Thank you!


Because reading is better than real life

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)