Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Book Review: Cinderella Screwed Me Over by Cindi Madsen



Cinderella Screwed Me Over
Author: Cindi Madsen
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Release Date: 22 October 2013

Darby Quinn has a bone to pick with Cinderella. Burned one too many times by ex-boyfriends, Darby has lost all belief in the happily-ever-after that the fairy-tale princess promised her. She's sworn off love, Prince Charmings, and happy endings and she's happy about it. Really. Or at least she was…until she met Jake, her gorgeous neighbor and the manager of her favorite restaurant. But Darby has rules about dating, ones she's culled from her years spent with so-called “princes,” and starting something with Jake would break all of them.

Charming, fun, and unwilling to give up on her, Jake doesn’t fit any of the profiles Darby has created from her case studies of ex-princes-gone-bad. Finally presented with her own Prince Charming, can Darby take a chance on a happily-ever-after?

Full of wit and sarcastic humor, Cinderella Screwed Me Over proves that sometimes the perfect love, like a perfect pair of shoes, is just within your grasp.

Review



Cinderella Screwed Me Over is exactly the type of book to draw me in. It has a gorgeous colourful cover, and promises to be a fun read. As a big fan of Disney princess movies (they're awesome), I was even more intrigued by the blurb.

Darby was definitely an interesting heroine. She's intelligent, witty and a total cynic when it comes to love. She wasn't always, but she's been burned too many times by disappointing exes, that she's given up on believing in 'the one'. I loved that Darby was independent, and determined, but boy, did her cynicism wear me down sometimes. I can definitely understand why she's cynical about love, but after a while I was urging her to take a chance. 
Jake is such a perfect hero for Darby. He's so charming, but in an honest and sweet way. He's the perfect antidote to Darby's cynicism, and if anyone has a chance at making Darby believe in love, it's him! Then  you add how amazingly hot he sounds- perfect.
I loved watching Jake slowly bring Darby's walls down a brick at a time. They also had a very sweet chemistry, although the sexiness is behind closed doors.

I loved the way this book was written! The way the case studies of Darby's exes were seamlessly woven into the story was very clever and entertaining. I was always looking forward to the next one, and seeing which prince her ex would be compared to. It blends so well, and you don't feel like there's a lot of awkward time jumping, which can sometimes be a problem for flashback scenarios. The fairy tale tie-ins were brilliant!

My only real negative was that at times I was worn down by Darby's negativity. It makes for conflict between the characters, of course, but it could be a touch frustrating. Plus, I felt bad for Jake. She was honest and upfront about how she felt about relationships, but even Darby was unsure about what exactly her dating 'rules and policies' were.

Overall, though, it was a thoroughly enjoyable read. It was filed with sarcastic humour and I couldn't get enough of the fairy tale references. Darby and Jake are very sweet together, and I enjoyed watching them finally come together. 

*I received a review copy of the book from the publisher, for my honest review. Thank you!


Because reading is better than real life

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)