Tuesday, 12 November 2013

Blog Tour: Jake Undone by Penelope Ward; Review





Jake Undone 
Author: Penelope Ward
Release Date: 21 October 2013

Nina Kennedy was alive…but not living…until she met him.

Planes, trains, heights…you name it, Nina was afraid of it and led a sheltered life ruled by irrational fears and phobias. When she moves to Brooklyn for nursing school, that life is turned upside down, as she develops an intense but unwanted attraction to her gorgeous roommate, who’s pierced, tattooed and just happens to be the smartest person she’s ever met.

Behind Jake Green’s rough exterior and devilish smile, lies a heart of gold. He makes it his mission to change Nina’s outlook on life. When he agrees to tutor her, they forge a bet and the stakes are high as Jake forces Nina to face her demons. He just wasn’t expecting to fall hard for her in the process.

What Nina doesn’t realize, is that Jake has been living his own private hell. Once he drops a bombshell, will their love survive it?

Told in two parts from both Nina and Jake’s points of view, Jake Undone is a standalone story and a companion to the novel, Gemini.

 Review



I struggled a bit with exactly how I felt after reading this book, and I had to spend some time having a good old ponder.

I liked Nina most of the time. She could be a little on the blah side for me, and I never got a really good feel on her personality, despite the majority of the book being told from her POV. She's super nice and sweet, but she is phobia-ridden and struggles to overcome them.
For Jake, I'll start with the obvious- he's tattooed, pierced and sounds super hot! So far, yay! He has a pretty devilish sense of humour with a great sarcastic wit and he's very smart. Smart and sexy- yes, please! He also has a mysterious secret that keeps him visiting Boston every weekend. He was very sweet with Nina and falls hard for her. I loved reading from Jake's POV, and the insight into his pain and the hell he's been living through made me so utterly sympathetic for him.

I found the first half of the book to be a little on the slow side. We have no idea what Jake's big secret is, so I found myself waiting for any hints to be dropped. I did like the way Jake and Nina developed a close friendship throughout this part of the story. They have a palpable sexual chemistry, but every time they come close to something happening, Jake pulls away.
Things move at a much quicker pace in the second half, and we finally get Jake's POV. I really loved seeing how devoted to Nina he was, and the struggles he's been through.

My biggest problem was the drama. So much unnecessary drama in that second half. Some drama is, of course, expected and anticipated eagerly, but it got kind of irritating when certain events occur (no spoiler here!) and they had pretty much no relevance for the plot.

I enjoyed this book, and there were some very sexy moments, mixed with the sweet. Nina could be a little bland at times, whereas Jake definitely held my interest and had different layers to his personality.
The big twist with Jake's secret was very intriguing, and kept me guessing until the reveal. It definitely made things a lot more complicated for Jake and Nina!

I'm really looking forward to My Skylar, the next book in the series. Skylar was a stand out secondary character, and I'm eager to see where her life will take her.

*I received a review copy, for my honest review. Thank you!

About the Author


Penelope Ward grew up in Boston with five older brothers. She spent most of her twenties as a television news anchor, before switching to a more family friendly career.

Penelope lives for reading books in the new adult genre, coffee and hanging out with her friends and family on weekends.

She is the proud mother of a beautiful 9-year-old girl with autism (the inspiration for the character Callie in Gemini) and a 7-year-old boy, both of whom are the lights of her life. Penelope, her husband and kids reside in Rhode Island.

Author Links: Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

Giveaway

There are 25 (yes, 25!) e-books of Gemini by Penelope Ward to be won, good luck!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Book Enthusiast Promotions

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)