Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Book Review: Toeing The Line by Allyson Lindt



Toeing The Line
Author: Allyson Lindt
Release Date: 19 August 2013
Publisher: Liquid Silver Books

Riley tends to fall hard and fast for the guys she dates, and it never ends with the wedding bells she expects. Tired of the heartbreak and unsure if she even knows what love is, she swears off unreliable things like dating and trying to find that elusive happily-ever-after spark. Focusing on her art seems like the perfect distraction, except she’s missing the physical side of being half a couple. Fortunately, her best friend, Zane, is happy to model for her drawings and tie her up in the bedroom, with no expectations. Just fun.

Zane’s granddad raised him with the belief that people who bring joy to the world should be protected at all costs. For Zane, his best friend Riley is one of those people, and he definitely doesn't mind when making her happy involves helping her pursue her creative dream and some sport sex with a hint of kink. They can have fun, and he can keep her from falling for the next idiot who comes along while she searches for her Prince Charming.

Regardless of her resolution, as things heat up between them, Riley finds herself falling again. She needs to decide if she’s in love with the idea of being in love, or if—despite Zane’s insistence that she deserves someone better—what she feels for him is the real thing. If she can’t learn to trust her heart and convince Zane he’s exactly what she needs, it will obliterate a lifelong friendship.

Review



I love books when best friends realise that they love each other as more than friends, it fills me with warm fuzzies. But this book did not give me the warm fuzzies. It was okay, but I never felt that I really connected with the characters, so I felt kind of detached from it.

I found Riley to be a bit on the irritating side, and her emotions were quite changable. I also found it annoying that she would get huffy with Zane if he wasn't particularly forthcoming about how he felt about her, when she wasn't either. The poor guy was confused by her for most of the book, and I was right there with him.
Zane was sweet but he was a total pushover when it came to Riley, and I never really understood why. Honestly, I didn't love him either, but he was probably my favourite character.

This is a quick read, with a good pace. What was an interesting storyline just fell a little flat for me. I spent most of the book just urging them to actually talk to each other. It would have solved their 'conflicts' a lot sooner.
This wasn't really for me, because I didn't connect with the characters much and that's a big factor for me to enjoy a book properly. 

*I received a review copy from the author, for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)