Tuesday, 20 August 2013

To Kill a Monarch by Gerri Brousseau- Guest Post!

Join me in welcoming Gerri Brousseau to Rookie Romance today! Gerri's latest book, To Kill a Monarch, releases tomorrow and she's written us a guest post about finding inspiration.



To Kill a Monarch
Author: Gerri Brousseau
Publisher: Soul Mate Publishing
Publication Date: 21 August 2013

Whispers in dark allies say Napoleon’s best assassin, The Falcon, has been sent to London to kill the Monarch. The problem – The Falcon’s identity is known only to the French Emperor. Sir Walter Tinsdale’s new partner, Philip Hamilton, arrives to discover their mission is to find the elusive bird of prey before he strikes. But their nemesis is like a phantom and always one step ahead of them. Enter the lovely Miss Charlotte Winston, the object of Sir Tinsdale’s affections, as well as those of Philip Hamilton. Unlikely alliances, deception, murder, and suicide will keep you turning the pages until the identity of The Falcon is finally revealed. With all the seduction and action of a James Bond movie, To Kill a Monarch is like 007 in 1811.



Guest Post

In interviews I get asked a lot of questions, but the one that I get asked the most is where I get the ideas for my novels. My answer is that ideas come to me in many ways, inspiration is everywhere and anywhere. Sometimes part of a song will inspire a thought for a novel, sometimes a commercial on TV, or a picture. Sometimes I’m inspired when taking a walk or when watching a movie. I was recently inspired to write a story when I discovered an old skeleton key. 

Looking back, I would say I have been writing as far back as I can remember. It’s been quite a journey from the ramblings of an 8-year old girl who wrote in pencil in a spiral notebook to a multi-published author. But in all the years in between, my writing has always been inspired by the types of books I love to read. 

When I began reading books for pleasure, meaning not books we had to read for school assignments, I found I was attracted to the romance genre. It drew me through the pages of tales of a handsome prince, lord, pirate, knight, or rogue, who fights to win the heart of his lady love. It was a romance rarely found in the reality of live. I was hooked. 

Then what happened? I began to read other types of novels, some I loved and others, not so much. I found that some of the novels I read left me hanging because the author didn't tie up all the loose ends. I was left feeling unsatisfied and, well, cheated. 

As it so happened and as it so often does in the course of human events, I took a job that was far from home and required me to ride a train, 2-hours each way to and from work. I did this for a span of three years, crazy, I know. During that time, I read more than one book per week. Finally through a series of fateful events, I decided to try my hand at writing a book. What would I write? I had to write what I loved to read, and that was romance. I had no idea how to write a book. Heck, I didn’t even know there were rules I just knew I wanted to write a book I would love to read, a book with a happy ending and no loose ends. I came up with a “tag” line that pretty much lets the potential reader know what they will find when they pick up one of my books. “Danger, Adventure and Romance, because the journey to happily ever after should leave you . . . breathless.” As I’m writing, I hope that my tales of exciting journeys have my readers tearing through the pages, not able to put the book down. I want my readers to enjoy the journey.  I wanted to write a book that would answer all the questions, tie up the loose ends, solve all the mysteries, bring the hero and heroine together, and leave my reader satisfied. 

Since my first novel, A Pirate’s Ransom, I have been lucky enough to have two other books published, According to Legend, and my new release, To Kill a Monarch

To Kill a Monarch is an intrigue that I hope will grip you and have you ripping through the pages to find out the identity of the elusive assassin known as The Falcon. Here is a little bit more about the book. 

Whispers in dark allies say Napoleon’s best assassin, The Falcon, has been sent to London to kill the Monarch. The problem – The Falcon’s identity is known only to the French Emperor. Sir Walter Tinsdale’s new partner, Philip Hamilton, arrives to discover their mission is to find the elusive bird of prey before he strikes. But their nemesis is like a phantom and always one step ahead of them. Enter the lovely Miss Charlotte Winston, the object of Sir Tinsdale’s affections, as well as those of Philip Hamilton. Unlikely alliances, deception, murder, and suicide will keep you turning the pages until the identity of The Falcon is finally revealed. With all the seduction and action of a James Bond movie, To Kill a Monarch is like 007 in 1811. 

Would your readers like a little excerpt?

 “Our dinner is getting cold, Mister Hamilton,” Charlotte whispered as she leaned against him.

He drew her into his embrace. “To hell with dinner, Charlotte,” he whispered into his kiss. Lifting her into his arms, he carried her upstairs to the bedroom they shared.

He set her feet gently upon the floor, but his lips never left hers. He ran his hand up her back, pressing her to him, molding her body to his, while his fingers fumbled with the tiny buttons that ran up the back of her gown.

Her delicate and nimble fingers had unbuttoned his waistcoat and shirt, and she rested the palm of her warm hand upon his exposed chest. His breath caught in his throat at her touch. She drew her lips from his. “Mister Hamilton, allow me help you out of these damp clothes,” she purred.

What kind of books do you love to read? What draws you? Have you ever re-read a favorite book? What was it? Have you ever read a book that left you feeling cheated or dissatisfied?

If you would like to read more of my little “caper” tale, it will be available in e-book through Amazon and Barnes & Noble on August 21st.  

About the Author


Gerri was born and raised in Connecticut. She attended Central Connecticut State University, majoring in English Literature. Although she lived on the west coast for several years, she relocated back to her roots and birth place of Connecticut, where she presently resides with her two pugs, Mimi and Milo and her cats, Louise and Harry.
As a young girl growing up in Waterbury, Gerri spent her summers writing stories and often times, together with neighboring girls her age, would present original plays for an audience of their parents. When she moved back to Connecticut, Gerri took a job that required her to commute 4 hours a day by train to and from work. After a year of reading a book a week, she decided to make the time work for her, when one night after a strange dream about a dream catcher, she was inspired to write her first book.
Lest you think all of her time is spent in contemplative pursuits, freefalling out of airplanes gave a whole new meaning to the word "adventure". Yes, a former skydiver who chose to retire from the sport, Gerri assures us that freefall is totally exhilarating and one of the most amazing and thrilling experiences anyone can have. Her energy and zest for life is found in the imaginative and page turning adventures she writes.
Author Links: Website | Facebook | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)