Monday, 12 August 2013

Free eRead-a-thon: Progress & Literary Cuisine Challenge


So, let's start with my progress update....it's not great, I'll be honest. Like I mentioned in my goal post, I'm juggling my free e-reads with review books I'm catching up on.
But I did get a start on Inevitable by Angela Graham- yay me!

So, my progress (only counting the freebies):
Sunday
I'm about 10% into Inevitable
So far it's good, but I've barely started so it's hard to actually tell!

Literary Cuisine Challenge

I've just finished reading How To Marry a Highlander (it's for a review tour) and it was a fab short read. In honour of the Scottish hero and his sisters, I have chosen a recipe for haggis! Now I've never been brave enough to try proper haggis, depsite living in Edinburgh for 2 years, so I've gone with a vegetarian haggis recipe, which is actually really yummy.
They don't actually eat haggis in the book, but it's what popped in my brain :)

Ingredients List:
1 finely chopped medium onion
1 finely chopped carrot
6 finely chopped medium mushrooms
75gm red lentils
45 gm mashed borlotti beans
50 gm rolled oats
50 gm buckwheat
30 gm ground hazelnuts
45 gm ground almonds
50 gm vegetarian suet
5 gm black pepper
250 ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
Dash soy sauce
dash of gravy browning

Method:

  1. Gently fry the onion, carrot and mushrooms in a large frying pan or wok
  2. Cook the lentils in the stock and reduce the liquid to about 250 ml
  3. Add the cooked lentils, borlotti beans, hazelnuts and almonds to the onion mixture.
  4. Gently fry the buckwheat and rolled oats for a few minutes, then add to the other mixture with the soy sauce, lemon juice, suet, gravy browning and black pepper simmer for a few minutes until the liquid begins to disappear
  5. Turn into an oven proof dish and allow to stand for 20 mins then cook in a medium oven for 30 mins
(The recipe is from BBC GoodFood.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)