Thursday, 1 August 2013

Book Review: Collide by Gail McHugh



Collide
Author: Gail McHugh
Publication Date: 18 January 2013

A missed first encounter…

Colliding with a second chance…

On the heels of graduating college and trying to cope with her mother’s death, Emily Cooper moves to New York City for a fresh start.

While harboring secrets of his own, Dillon Parker takes care of Emily through her grief. Knowing he can’t live without her by his side, he’s sweet, thoughtful, and everything Emily has ever wanted in a man.

Until she meets Gavin Blake—a rich and notorious playboy who is dangerously sexy and charming as hell. Emily tries to deny the instant connection she feels, but Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome is not inclined to let go so easily. Recovering from his own painful past, Gavin will stop at nothing to win Emily over.


This unexpected encounter compels Emily to question her decisions, forcing her to make a choice that will destroy friendships, shatter hearts, and forever change her life.

My Review

 




This book broke me. Like, I was a hysterical sobbing mess for a while. I actually went to my sister's room after to tell her about the book, and started crying again.
It's bloody fantastic, though. I don't really understand why it took me so long to read this, but I'm kind of glad because it meant that I had Pulse (book 2) so I could read it straight afterwards because the ending left me NEEDING more!

Emily is in a dark place, struggling to cope with her mother's death. So, she decides to move to New York, she can live with her best friend and be close to her boyfriend, Dillon. Working as a waitress in a diner, Emily meets Mr. Tall, Dark and F**kable Handsome- a.k.a. Gavin Blake. There's an instant connection between them and Gavin is drawn to Emily in a way he's never experienced.
Imagine their surprise, when Gavin is introduced to his friend's girlfriend- Emily. They try and stay away from each other, but the chemistry between them is hard to deny.

So, let me try and explain why I loved it so much.

Gavin Blake has topped my list of favourite book boyfriends. He's just amazing. He's sweet, funny, charming, and very, very persistent. Then there's the requisite drop-dead gorgeous good looks and hefty bank balance! He's not perfect, which actually makes him more perfect....I know, that doesn't make sense! He had his heart broken when he was younger, and it threw him into a spiral of meaningless flings with women...until Emily! Gavin slipped under my skin and stole my heart.

Emily is struggling, she's devastated by her mother's death and is trying to start again in New York. Dillon was her rock throughout her mother's illness and she loves him. Things change between them though, Dillon changes. He becomes possessive and moody, works at all hours and has a dangerous temper. Of course, Emily struggles and makes excuses for him. She's so grateful to Dillon and feels like she owes him so much. It's scary to see how their relationship spirals downwards, and Emily doesn't seem to realise how bad his behaviour really is.

I don't usually go in for love triangles, most of the time they just irritate me too much. But I loved this one, sure it frustrated me and made want to tear my hair out at times, but it was so full of emotion with no obvious and easy solution.
When Gavin and Emily are together, it's intense and beautiful and made me so bloody happy. But it terrified me because of the looming specter of Dillon.
I loved the chemistry between Gavin and Emily, not just the sexual chemistry (which was stupefyingly hot), but their emotional connection too. They just meshed so perfectly, and I loved their playful banter.
Then there's the bits that made me sob hysterically, like it was all actually happening to me! The ending made my stomach churn and my heart break. I couldn't believe it was all happening- and I'm keeping this spoiler free, but I so want to rant here ;)

So, basically, this book is awesome. I couldn't recommend it enough. I stayed up reading through the night and into the next day because I absolutely had to know more and read Pulse immediately afterwards. I know this sounds a bit gushy, but it's how it made me feel. If you've not yet met Gavin Blake, you NEED to and you need to do it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)