Sunday, 25 August 2013

ARC Review: The Trouble With Being a Duke by Sophie Barnes



The Trouble With Being a Duke
Author: Sophie Barnes
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 27 August 2013

Sometimes happily ever after…

Anthony Hurst, Duke of Kingsborough knows the time has come for him to produce an heir. But first he must find a bride. When he meets the most exquisite woman at his masquerade ball, he thinks his search is over…until the breathtaking beauty runs off. With few clues other than her figure, her scent, and the memory of her kiss, Anthony must find his mystery lady.

…needs a little bit of help.

Isabella Chilcott can scarcely believe it: she is finally at the Kingsborough Ball. As a child, she dreamed of dancing a waltz here and now, thanks to a gorgeous gown she’s found in the attic, Isabella is living her fairytale fantasy. And she’s waltzing with the Duke of Kingsborough himself! But she must escape before he discovers her secrets…for she is not who she pretends to be, and falling in love with Prince Charming is the last thing she can allow herself to do…

My Review



The Trouble With Being a Duke is a classic Cinderella story, and I was immediately drawn to the blurb. With vivid descriptions and charming characters, this is a sweet and funny historical romance.

I loved Anthony, he's pretty much perfect in my eyes. He's close with his family, and is still grieving over the death of his much-loved father. He realises that it's time he finds himself a bride and resolves to start looking. He finds her, but before he can find out who she is, she disappears. I thought that he was extremely sweet, and I loved his romantic determination to marry his mystery woman. He hates public speaking, which was thoroughly endearing since he's practically perfect in every other regard!

Isabella was a fun and personable heroine. I do wish that she had taken more control of her life, particularly at the beginning of the story. She lets her parents make her decisions, even when it makes her miserable. She does become much more determined though, and I was rooting for her throughout!

The connection between Anthony and Isabella was so sweet and romantic. They have the type of romance that makes your heart feel all warm and fuzzy.

There were some very interesting mysteries to unravel, many of them we saw resolved but there's also some questions that I'm looking forward to having answered in the rest of the series. I was very interested to see why Isabella's mother was so set on her marrying Mr. Roberts and definitely not Anthony- you'd expect most parents to be thrilled that a Duke wanted to marry their daughter. When the truth was unveiled, I could understand where her mother was coming from, even though her intentions were very misguided.
The secondary characters were all very well fleshed-out, I especially loved Isabella's sister, Anthony's mother and Casper.

Overall, this is a sweet and highly romantic story, that gives you the warm fuzzies. I enjoyed Isabella and Anthony's journey to their HEA, and I can't wait to see what the rest of the series will bring us!

*I received an ARC from the author, for my honest review. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)