Monday, 29 July 2013

Book Review: Watch Me Walk Away by Jill Prand



Watch Me Walk Away
Author: Jill Prand
Publication Date: 7 June 2013

At the age of seventeen, Lisa was broken when Bobby left. He was suppose to be her first. First Love. First Time. First Everything. No word for six long years. She moved away from the painful reminders sacrificing her relationship with her best friend Brad. She struggled to rebuild her life.

Now six years later she returns as a strong, successful woman grabbing a job at one of New York’s hottest marketing agencies. She is dating a gorgeous guy with his eyes on a corner office. But it all changes when she sees Bobby again.

Can she risk another heartbreak from Bobby? Will she be able to repair her friendship with Brad? Lisa will have to decide between the man she's with, and the two men that want her.

Who will she be with, and who will she tell to "Watch Me Walk Away?"

My review

 




Lisa is heartbroken when Bobby leaves her at 17, even if he thinks it's for her own good. Lisa has never forgotten her first love, but six years later she's moved on and is an independent, successful woman, working in New York.
Everything seems to be falling into place and she's dating again, but her world is shaken when she's faced with Bobby. Torn between her head and her heart, Lisa has to decided if she can risk a second chance with Bobby, and if her heart could survive if he broke it again.

Lisa is very successful in her work life, and comes across as a strong and confident woman. Inside though, she still dwells on the past. We hear the story told from Lisa's perspective, and at times I found her a touch whiny. I know she's conflicted about whether she can trust Bobby again, and I admired that she didn't want to hurt Stuart, but sometimes I wanted her to be able to take more control of her emotions. Although, I guess she is only human and has been hurt in the past! She is likable and relatable too.

I liked Bobby, he seemed willing to do anything to win Lisa back. He clearly hadn't forgotten her either after their years apart, but he has a darker past after spending time in the Special Forces. Bobby is particularly drool-worthy but I'd have liked to have explored his past more and how it affects him.

I really liked Brad too- lucky Lisa, all these gorgeous men want her! He's very loyal and such a good friend. I want him to finally be able to move on from Lisa, and find somebody of his own to love. 

I did think that Bobby and Lisa moved so quickly, despite their shared past. I also thought that when a particular truth came out (no spoilers) there was an over-reaction which really surprised me and I wasn't happy about.
The sex scenes between Lisa and Bobby were explosive and had me melting. It wasn't just their crazy chemistry, but you could feel the emotional connection between them as well. I loved these scenes and thought Jill Prand totally nailed them (no pun intended!).

This is a great debut from the author, with lots of emotion and chemistry between Lisa and Bobby. There were areas that I would have loved to have seen developed and explored further, but overall it was a sweet story of a second chance love. I'll definitely be reading Brad's story in Walk Into Me!

*I received a review copy of the book from the author, for my honest review. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)