Welcome to my stop on the A Passion for Pleasure by Nina Rowan blog tour, hosted by Forever Romance. I've got fun facts about A Passion for Pleasure and about Nina Rowan!
There's also a great giveaway for 2 paperback copies of A Passion for Pleasure, don't miss it!
5 Fun Facts about A Passion for Pleasure
1. One of the automata that Clara tells Sebastian about is based on a real automaton called the Draughtsman-Writer built by the Swiss inventor Maillardet in 1800. The automaton can create four drawings and three poems, one in English and two in French.
2. The cipher machine is also based on a real invention by Charles Wheatstone (1802-1875), which he called the Playfair cipher after his friend Lord Playfair. In 1854, Playfair first suggested to the British Home Office and Prince Albert that they use it as a field system during the Crimean War.
3. Sebastian's intention to create piano compositions for the left hand only is based on Maurice Ravel's "Piano Concerto for the Left Hand in D major," which Ravel composed for the Austrian pianist Paul Wittgenstein, who lost his right arm during World War I.
4. Franz Liszt really was "Kapellmeister Extraordinaire" at Weimar in Germany when
Sebastian would have been there in 1854.
5. Clara pays a visit to Mudie's Library, a successful lending and subscription library that
had moved to New Oxford Street close to the British Museum in 1852.
5 Fun Facts about Nina Rowan
1. I used to be in the film department at UCLA and harbored dreams of becoming a screenwriter and director.
2. I’ve met an interesting array of celebrities, including Jodie Foster, Alec Baldwin, Carol Burnett, Anthony Hopkins, Gregory Peck, Geena Davis, Billy Joel, Sinead O’Conner, and Julia Roberts.
3. I once held a letter that the artist Monet had actually written.
4. I’ve eaten ice cream in front of the Pantheon in Rome, the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia; the Victoria Memorial in Calcutta, India; the Louvre in Paris, and London’s Buckingham Palace. And many, many times at the Chocolate Shoppe in Madison, WI.
5. I can tell you exactly where to find the best chocolate religieuse in Paris and the best gelato in Rome. (are you sensing a theme here? :) )
6. My name is carved in the cement of the house my parents built together and where I grew up.
7. I know more about ninja than I ever thought I would.
About the Author
Two paperback copies of A Passion for Pleasure are up for grabs today!
It's open to the US only, and you have to be over 18 to enter. No P.O. boxes please.
Winners will have 48 hours to respond to my e-mail, otherwise a new winner will be selected. Just fill out the rafflecopter form below to enter.
Good luck everyone!a Rafflecopter giveaway