Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Book Review: Shadows of the Past by Carmen Stefanescu






Shadows of the Past
Author: Carmen Stefanescu
Format: E-book (152 pages)
Publisher: Wild Child Publishing
Publish Date: 4 December 2012

Blurb from Amazon
Anne's relationship with her boyfriend Neil has disintegrated. After a two-year separation, they packs for a week vacation in hopes of reconciling. But fate has other plans for them.
The discovery of a bejeweled cross and ancient human bones opens a door to a new and frightening world--one where the ghost of a medieval nun named Genevieve will not let Anne rest. This new world threatens not only to ruin Anne and Neil's vacation but to end all hopes of reconciliation as Anne feels compelled to help free Genevieve's soul from its torment.

Can Anne save her relationship and help Genevieve find her eternal rest? Or will evil win again?

My review:





Shadows of the Past alternates between telling you the story of two different women, Genevieve and Anne. Genevieve is a 15th century nun with a tragic past, and Anne is a modern businesswoman trying to mend a broken relationship with her boyfriend, Neil.
I was impressed at the way the author weaved together the past and the present, and Anne and Genevieve’s separate stories.

I was easily drawn in to Genevieve’s story, the intrigue and danger grabbed my attention. I loved that it almost started at the end, and then it was explained throughout the story.

There were a few elements throughout the story that stopped me from giving it a higher rating. For instance, when in the past I thought the dialogue and actions weren’t very historically accurate, not that I’m an expert! Although, I enjoyed the connection between Anne and Genevieve.

Whilst I was interested in what was happening between the characters, I didn't feel them emotionally, which is how I usually read. They were fairly likeable, but I’d have liked to see more characterisation so that they all had their own voices.

This book definitely left me wanting more, and there were questions left unanswered. It felt like it was left open for a sequel, so I hope there will be one. I’m very curious about what happens!

*I received a copy from the author, for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)