Sunday, 3 March 2013

Book Review: Silencing Breath by Joanne Brothwell

Silencing Breath
Author: Joanne Brothwell
Format: Ebook
Publish Date: March 2013

Blurb from goodreads:
Silencing Breath, book two in the Stealing Breath series.

Just as Sarah Ross is learning everything she can about her new abilities as an Indigo Child and settling into a normal life with her beloved Evan, her entire world shatters when Evan disappears without a trace.

Desperate to find him, Sarah’s search leads her to a sadistic serial killer who confirms her worst fears are true; Evan has been kidnapped, and he is once again in the clutches of his abusive family of necromancers.

Sarah uncovers not only Evan's dark past he tried so desperately to protect her from, but also The Key of Solomon, an ancient text for summoning the dead.

Knowing her abilities are limited in the face of this ancient power, Sarah is forced to face the Malandanti in order to save him. However, one question remains: once he is found, will Evan be the same man she fell in love with?


My Review:






SO, four years on from where we left off with Stealing Breath and Sarah and Evan are happily loved up and living together. Things seem kind of perfect, there's been no signs of the Malandati, Skinwalkers or Stefano- Sarah is about to start graduate studies and Evan proposes...Then Evan disappears.
And, it turns out Evan's evil Malandati family have kidnapped him in order to turn him back and to use him to steal Sarah's Indigo essence. Then it's time for Sarah (and a few friends) to rescue Evan, but will he be the same man she loves??

I loved this sequel to Stealing Breath. Whereas in Stealing Breath I sometimes felt that the story was moving too fast, the pacing was great in this book.
It also keeps you guessing, I was never quite sure what was happening- especially towards the end of the story.
The paranormal element was refreshing, the Native American and Italian folklore used as the basis for the skinwalkers and Malandati was interesting and original.
As I read Silencing Breath, my heart ached for Sarah. After everything they'd already been through, it was just painful to read her anguish when he disappears. The whole time you're urging her on, hoping that she can find Evan in time and save him.
I loved that in this book, we get a chance to know Stefano. In Stealing Breath, he's a fairly stereotypical villain but we get to see more about how he feels and his relationship with Evan.
One of the things I didn't particularly like was towards the end when another character (whom i shall not name, so there's no spoilers) takes a romantic interest in Sarah. It felt unnecessary, and took some of the focus off the situation that was at hand. Although that's just a personal preference really, I was annoyed on Evan's behalf :)
And finally, once you've read through the twists and turns, you near the end and are hoping for Evan's rescue (at least I was)- then it ends with a bit of a cliffhanger. I can only assume that there will be another sequel, because I absolutely NEED to know what happens next.

Overall, this book will draw you in and keep you guessing. Expect tears and tension as you read this- but definitely read this book!



I was provided with an ARC ebook by the author in exchange for an honest review.


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No problem, I really enjoyed it and I can't wait for the next one!

      Delete
  2. Nice review. This sounds suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great read, I'd definitely recommend it :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a really great story! After reading your review I really have to read this book. Thank you for sharing your honest review. Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)