Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Book Review: The Scent of a Soul by Jennifer Thompson

The Scent of a Soul
Author: Jennifer Thompson
Format: Paperback (484 pages)
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Publish Date: September 2012

Blurb from Goodreads:
Fleeing her recent past, Lilliah Woods finds refuge in the anonymity of the present day inner-city slums. As she settles into the seedy apartment she must now call home, she meets mysterious Marek Jamison when he materializes in her doorway demanding to know who she is. From that moment, he becomes a guardian and guide as she gradually discovers his hidden world. 

As their relationship develops, Lilliah learns of Marek's dark past and of a brothers' quarrel he has been embroiled in for years. The quarrel turns into a larger battle of good and evil, liberty versus tyranny, and the separation of love and lust. 

With Lilliah as the ultimate prize, the deadly conflict reaches out to threaten her family, and the outcome of the final battle will determine her fate. Lilliah must embark on an unexpected path that teaches her to trust in the man she has come to love, and give of herself as she never thought she could....


My Review:









I've had a really hard time trying to write this review and decide how many hearts to award this book. There were parts I loved, parts that struggled to keep my interest and parts that had me tearing my hair out.

First of all, I would like to state that I loved Marek. I couldn't find fault in the guy! He was the perfect hero for this story; tall, muscular, protective, and considerate. He has everything going for him! (Plus he's Scottish, and I love a good Scottish accent).

So, the first third of this book was brilliant. As Lilliah and Marek came to know each other, and their relationship developed, I was hooked. Marek is exactly the kind of person that Lilliah needed in her life, especially for the area that she had to move to! Their romance is a slow burner, it's also very sweet. The whole of this book is very clean romance, which makes it ideal for most ages. 

When Marek's secret is revealed, I completely understand why Lilliah is more hesitant about their relationship and has doubts. When they reach White Cross, Marek tries to give her time and space to work things out. Now, I'll say right now that I'm not a big fan of love triangles in general, so when it became clear that Jack was going to be entering the picture, I was not happy. I'll try not to give too much away, but I struggled to have much sympathy for Lilliah in this section of the book (I think I loved Marek too much!). She knows that Marek isn't happy about how Jack feels for Lilliah, and that it's hard for him when they're with each other. But does she respect how he feels? NO. I won't say more, and it'll be different for each person who reads the story.

The secondary characters were awesome, they were all so richly brought to life. I love that so many of them had their own little stories played out.
The battle between good and evil, and the scheming of the despicable Magnus was also a great overall plot line. I was very intrigued to see how it all played out, and there was plenty of tension and rollercoaster emotions!

The biggest flaw for me, was the pacing and length of the story. The first half was well paced, it moved along nicely and I was eager to read more. But the second half of the book fluctuated so much; sometimes it would be all action and I'd be excited to read what happens next, and at other times it seemed to drag on and I struggled through those sections. The end of the book was very slow going, and when I had finished I definitely had that 'finally' feeling.

Unfortunately the middle section of the story infuriated me, while the latter half just dragged a bit too much. Although the romance is sweet, and the paranormal aspects of the story were quite refreshing and different to  a lot of other books out there.

I received an ebook copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review.



2 comments:

  1. It annoys me too when the heroine totally disregards the initial love interests' feelings...I always want to reach into the book and shake her! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one--it sounds like it might be worth checking out, especially if the paranormal aspect is fresh. I read a lot of PNR and get bored with the same old stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very frustrating! I did find the paranormal side quite different, which is always good lol

      Delete

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)