Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Book Review: Scandal In Spring by Lisa Kleypas


Scandal In Spring

Author: Lisa Kleypas

Format: Paperback (384 pages), Ebook
Publisher: Avon Books
Publish Date: August 2006


Blurb from Goodreads:
After spending three London seasons searching for a husband, Daisy Bowman's father has told her in no uncertain terms that she must find a husband. Now. And if Daisy can't snare an appropriate suitor, she will marry the man he chooses—the ruthless and aloof Matthew Swift.
Daisy is horrified. A Bowman never admits defeat, and she decides to do whatever it takes to marry someone . . . anyone . . . other than Matthew. But she doesn't count on Matthew's unexpected charm . . . or the blazing sensuality that soon flares beyond both their control. And Daisy discovers that the man she has always hated just might turn out to be the man of her dreams.
But right at the moment of sweet surrender, a scandalous secret is uncovered . . . one that could destroy both Matthew and a love more passionate and irresistible than Daisy's wildest fantasies.
My Review:




Scandal in Spring is the fourth book in the brilliant Wallflower series, we are reunited with Daisy (who features in the previous 3 books) and it's time for her to find her Happy Ever After. 
I'll happily admit that this was not the first time I've read Scandal in Spring, and it certainly won't be the last! Each of the wallflower books are fab, and Daisy is so very close to being my favourite, although Evie from Devil In Winter has that particular honour. I think it's because I feel I can relate to Daisy- she's a dreamer who loves nothing more than losing herself in a good book. But in this book Daisy discovers that real life can be so much more passionate, exciting and adventurous. All because of one man's re-introduction into her life- Matthew Swift.
Now Matthew, of course, sounds utterly divine. Tall, muscular, ruthless, but gentle and dependable too. He's always had a secret longing for Daisy that he kept hidden from her, because he has secrets from his past that make being with her impossible- or rather just very difficult! 
I adored how through the book we got to see the other wallflowers; Annabelle, Evie and Lillian. You can feel the camaraderie and friendship between them, it almost feels like you're having a catch up with old friends! You also get wonderful glimpses of Lillian and Westcliff's married life together. 
I like the build up to the 'big reveal' when we find out what it is exactly that Matthew's been hiding about his past. In the second half of the book, his mysterious past is mentioned several times before it all comes to a heart-wrenching climax. I challenge anybody not to cry at the end of this book! But it is also very heart-warming how everyone stands by him in his time of need, even Daisy's parents who are not the warmest of people, to say the least.
And of course, the passion that Lisa Kleypas always writes with, is here in abundance. The spark between Daisy and Matthew was electric. There's also plenty of entertaining and funny moments to keep you smiling. It has taught me that goose-wrestling is not a good idea! Each character is wonderfully described, and you'll find yourself clinging to every word.
So overall, I loved it. I knew I would! I highly recommend reading Scandal in Spring, and I also recommend that if this sounds like your kind of book, you read the previous books in the series because they're equally fabulous! 

10 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a new follower from Book Blogs! Check out my blog here Bookish Whimsy, and hopefully you would like to follow back. :)

    I'm glad you enjoyed the book! It sounds like a wonderfully heart warming and romantic read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene. Thanks for joining! I've had a look at your blog, it's fab and I've followed back.
      And Scandal in Spring is awesome! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey! I nominated you for the Liebster Award.

    http://bookbloggerparadise.blogspot.com/2013/03/nomination-for-liebster-award-and.html

    Chelsea @ Starbucks & Books Obsession

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chelsea! I'll be doing my Liebster award post ASAP! Rather exciting :D
      Thanks, Cerian

      Delete
  3. I've nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award. Follow this link for the details: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/03/liebster-award-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Catherine! I'll be putting up my Liebster award post shortly :)
      Thanks again, Cerian

      Delete
  4. Great Review!!! I also love Matthew and Daisy...I think he is one of my favorites. He is so strong and dependable and I just love the way he is with Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Matthew is pretty great! He's totally perfect for Daisy!
      Have you read the other Wallflower books? Sebastien's my favourite :D

      Delete
  5. I loved this book, and the whole Wallflower series. Well to come to the truth of it, I just love Lisa Kleypas's books in general.

    If you loved this book, you'll love the others in this series, and her Hathaway series as well. I highly recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha same! I'm a huge Lisa Kleypas fan :) My favourite is Devil In Winter
      Thanks for the recommendation, I've read all of her books, but I do love the Hathaway series!

      Delete

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)