Sunday, 3 March 2013

Book Review: Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish by Grace Burrowes

Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish
Author: Grace Burrowes
Format: Paperback (404 pages), Ebook
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publish Date: October 2011

Blurb from Goodreads:
ALL SHE WANTS IS PEACE AND ANONYMITY...

Lady Sophie Windham has maneuvered a few days to herself at the ducal mansion in London before she must join her family for Christmas in Kent. Suddenly trapped by a London snowstorm, she finds herself with an abandoned baby and only the assistance of a kind, handsome stranger standing between her and complete disaster.

BUT SOPHIE'S HOLIDAY IS ABOUT TO HEAT UP...

With his estate in ruins, Vim Charpentier sees little to feel festive about this Christmas. His growing attraction for Sophie Windham is the only thing that warms his spirits--but when Sophie's brothers whisk her away, Vim's most painful holiday memories are reawakened.

It seems Sophie's been keeping secrets, and now it will take much more than a mistletoe kiss to make her deepest wishes come true...


My Review:







I'd been searching for holiday romances for Christmas when I came across Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish. Lady Sophie is the sensible daughter of a Duke, and is left the reluctant guardian of a baby when the mother (a household servant) flees and abandons her baby. Enter our hero, Vim Charpentier- he steps in and helps Sophie with baby Kit and when there's a snowstorm, he stays at the house and helps her to look after Kit. Vim assumes Sophie is a member of the household staff and he doesn't tell her that he is titled, and heir to a viscountcy.

The first half of this book was brilliantly written. I enjoyed the scenes with Sophie and Vim with Kit. Their fall into love is very believable and sweet. Vim is a kind, handsome and thoughtful man, who truly cares for Kit. Sophie is sweet and caring, with a habit of taking in strays. They both enjoy the anonymity of being 'commoners' and the cosy domestic atmosphere they create definitely helps them fall more in love with each other.

Then Sophie's brothers (finally) arrive at the house and aren't impressed when they realise Vim and Sophie have been alone together for several days. They then go to Vim's Uncle's estate in Kent (where Vim was headed originally) and then on to their own familial estate.
This is pretty much where I started to enjoy the book less. Sophie was inexplicably stubborn about not marrying Vim, she wasn't forthright and honest with Vim about her feelings, and Vim struggles to understand her actions- as did I, most of the time I just wanted to shake the girl.
Sophie often seemed very different, and I was frustrated that Vim wasn't more insistent when he'd compromised Sophie and loved her! Although, I was of course still rooting for them :)

All in all, I found the second half rather frustrating. The secondary characters were well written and rounded, but sometimes I felt that there was way too much information about them squeezed in. Although it's part of a series, it felt a bit unnecessary.

I would give this 3.5 stars, but I guess the first half carried it to 4 stars. So, overall it's worth a read and is enjoyable.

4 comments:

  1. Ah I hate when that happens. I enjoy reading historical romance and this one sounds good but I hate it when one of the MC's is stubborn beyond reason.
    Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still enjoyed most of it, but she was so annoying for a large portion of it!

      Delete
  2. This seems like a sweet romance(: Too bad they get a bit too stubborn at the end that is frustrating. I will have to give this a try though it seems like a nice romance.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did really enjoy it, I just wanted to knock their heads together at the end lol

      Delete

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)