Saturday, 30 March 2013

Book Review: Forever A Lord by Delilah Marvelle

Forever A Lord
Author: Delilah Marvelle
Format: E-book, Paperback (345 pages)
Publisher: Harlequin
Publish Date: December 2012

Blurb from Goodreads:
He's a fighter, not a lover.
But that's about to change...


Lady Imogene Norwood lives a sheltered life of quiet respectability and routine...until she debuts at her first Season. There among London's elite she meets the wild and broken Lord Atwood. And the very shy English rose suddenly realizes that a little chaos might just be what her heart desires. 

Lord Nathaniel James Atwood doesn't believe true love exists. Since scandal tore him away from his family at an early age, he has spent his life fighting for what he wants. That attitude has made him a rising star in bare-knuckle boxing, and now leads him back to London to reclaim the life that was stolen from him. But upon meeting the innocent Imogene, his beliefs are trounced...as guarding his heart against her proves to be the fight of his life.


My Review:









I'm going to warn you before I start this review, this is about to get a bit gushy. If you've read my reviews for the previous two books in the Rumour series (Forever and a Day, and Forever a Lady), then you'll know that I've been REALLY looking forward to reading Atwood's story. And it didn't disappoint!

So, we start with the delicious Nathaniel, the long-lost Lord Atwood, who returns to London to claim his life back. 
In an effort to be able to free themselves from the unhappiness in their lives, Imogene and her brother Henry decide to invest Imogene's inheritance in a boxer who can become the Champion of England, and win a quarter of a million pounds. Edward Coleman a.k.a. Nathaniel is that Champion.

Nathianel is an amazing hero for this story, he has demons and is very troubled. He's trying to claim back the life that was stolen from him when he was kidnapped as a child. He doesn't particularly trust women, and isn't used to anyone genuinely caring about him. At heart, he is a wounded man who has never truly belonged anywhere. I do love a tortured hero. Imogene is the ideal woman, to soothe those wounds, and make him happy.

I really loved Imogene. She's so sweet, and has an innocent strength that surprised me. She has health problems stemming from abuse from her governess when she was a child, but she tries to shield these problems from her brother because she doesn't want to be more of a burden. I loved Imogene and Nathaniel's first meeting! The chemistry between them was electric! 
Imogene treats Nathaniel with patience, understanding and a respect that has long been missing from his life. I love that she sees beneath his gruff demeanor, to the core of the man- 'You have a depth of compassion within you that reveals itself at the right time every time. 'Tis what I admire about you most. Your compassion.' I love this bit :)

Forever A Lord is, of course, written in that wonderful style I've come to associate with Ms. Marvelle's writing- it's gritty, explosively sensual, and intensely emotional. I love it.
The sex scenes in this book were dynamite, and really suited Nathaniel's character. He needs to feel in control all the time, which extends to the most intimate of situations. But when he realises how much he loves Imogene and how much he trusts her, he happily relinquishes that control and I thought it was a beautiful moment.

I also really enjoyed the epilogue. It was so sweet, I won't ruin what actually happens but it was a lovely way to round off the series!

This lived up all to my expectations, and more. I cried, I laughed, I rejoiced- and I was reading this at work on my break, so I looked like a mad woman, laughing out loud on my own. I've had this book sat on my shelf for almost 3 months and I'm thoroughly ashamed of myself for not reading it sooner!

I was lucky enough to win a copy of Forever A Lord from Maire Claremont, on her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)